Girlguiding Wiltshire South HQ &
Berwick Activity Centre
An ideal centre for camping, holidays, training and meetings in a rural setting, close to the pretty village of Berwick St James.
The 2.5 acre site is situated on the edge of Salisbury Plain, within walking distance of Stonehenge. The hourly bus service will take you the 8 miles into the cathedral city of Salisbury or the 15 miles to the market town of Devizes, where you can explore the Avon and Kennet Canal.
Two large rooms, one suitable for sleeping 14 Brownies/Guides max, other 12 max. Numbers in excess of 14 are advised to book the Pratten for daytime activities.
There are 25 foam mattresses and 40 single blankets at the Centre
Each room has a hatch to kitchen and can be used for eating. There are 7 large and 2 small folding tables and 50 chairs for use in these rooms. A television and DVD recorder is available for residents, together with a large selection of books.
Leaders Room/Office suitable for 3 leaders to sleep in and/or First Aid Room, with en-suite toilet and wash basin.
Wash area - 4 toilets, 4 wash basins, 2 showers including 1 shower and 1 toilet suitable for those with disabilities.
Kitchen-fully fitted including 6 ring cooker, large larder fridge, freezer, microwave and hot water heater for drinks.
Conservatory for storing coats and shoes especially wet gear. Alternatively, ideal for meetings or adults relaxation area.
Souvenirs are available to buy.
Primarily a shelter for campers, our new lodge is a large wooden, purpose built building, which can be divided into two halves by folding doors. It can be used for sleeping if necessary, with heating and full fire prevention coverage. Complete with tables and chairs, it can also be used for trainings, meetings, parties, fun days and other activities, when not being used for campers. The lodge can be used for shooting and fencing, under instruction from our registered instructors, subject to availability. The verandah can also be used for archery, again with our instructors.
Campsites - 1 large and 1 medium site are available.
Alter Fires on each site
Jubilee Block comprising:
- General area - 6 wash basins, 4 toilets and 2 showers with hot water. 1 toilet, shower and wash basin in separate room for person with Disabilities.
- Leaders Room - 1 toilet, shower and wash basin in own room.
- Camp store - Fridge and freezer for campers use. Storage area for food. BBQ for residents use. Stock of souvenirs for sale.
- A washing airer for campers use is attached to the Jubilee block.
There are outside drinking water taps. An elsan disposal point is available should camps wish to provide own chemical toilets for their site.
Two trolleys are available to carry equipment and stores from transport to the camp site.
Bins for glass and tin recycling and general rubbish are situated between the Camp Store and Play Area. We would request campers to burn as much as possible.
The Play Area should be used in liaison with residents staying in the house.
Archery, shooting and fencing can be booked to coincide with your stay.
Games Equipment List
- 1 Giant Jenga on trolley
- 2 sets of giant draughts
- Giant draught board in front of building
- Steel boules -set of 4
- Steel boules -set of 8
- 2 Sets of skis for two
- 2 sets of stilts
- Mega four in a line
- Garden quoits
- 5 Play parachutes
- 5 Paddling pools
- Kwik cricket set in bag
- 12 Hockey sticks, 6 pucks, 6 bibs in bag
- 2 Sets of 4 spinning plates in bags
- 2 Sets of 3 juggling clubs in bags
- Large target and Velcro bean bags
- 4 Diabolo in bags
- Giant noughts and crosses
- Giant snakes and ladders
- Foam hoopla
- French skipping ropes
- Skipping ropes
- Bats / balls / quoits / hoops
- All purpose non-slip markers
- 6 Super jumpers
- 12 Relay batons
- 3 jumping balls
- 12 Egg and spoon sets
- Swing ball
- 12 coloured bean bags
- Foam O & X set
- Outdoor chess set
- Giant mat target +3 discs
- Outdoor Draughts set
- 5 Hobby horses
- Rounders Set-4 poles / bases, bats, balls
- Mega Scoops and balls
- Large goal net for outside football
- Various sized footballs
- Large net for tennis / volleyball outside
- Medium net for tennis / volleyball outside
- Table tennis net, bats and balls for indoor use
- Hockey set
- Croquet set
- 5 Badminton rackets and shuttlecocks
- 1 DSX Ideal inflator for balls
There are jigsaws, board and card games and musical instruments for indoor use, stored in the Pratten building. There is an outside games table marked with various games.
PIONEERING - Pioneer poles are stored behind the Pratten building. Ropes, instructions and ideas for usage are with games equipment.
The Management Committee reserve the right to withdraw any games considered dangerous because of their condition.