Awards at County Level for Adult Volunteers
Do you know a volunteer within Girlguiding South Wiltshire who is going above and beyond to provide excellent guiding and deserves special thanks? Do you know someone within Girlguiding South Wiltshire who shows great courage?
If you are a volunteer within Girlguiding Wiltshire South then it’s time to nominate them for an award. We have many awards available within our County, South West England Region and nationwide.
The County's Awards Committee meets three times a year but you can nominate anyone at any time. The committee comprises of the County Commissioner as Chair and an administrator. There is also a trainer, a commissioner and then several recent recipients which change with each meeting to allow a wide cross section of volunteers to be involved and take an active role in reviewing the nominations.
Being recognised for the service to your local community is a very special honour, so if you think someone deserves it, you nominate them. Don’t think everyone else will do it because someone could miss out.
Nominations and requests for advice can be sent
The following awards are available through application to the Girlguiding Wiltshire South Awards Committee: Blue Butterfly, Good Service Brooch
Please complete this downloadable application form here:-County Awards Application Form.
Girlguiding Wiltshire South's Award - The "Butterfly" Award
Purpose: The Blue Butterfly can be awarded to recognise and acknowledge the valued service that any adult over the age of 18 has made to promote or advance Girlguiding in Wiltshire South.
• All applications must be made without the knowledge of the nominee.
• Nominations may be made by any member of Girlguiding Wiltshire South aged 18.
• The nominee will have done something special, shown extra commitment or support to others within Wiltshire South Girlguiding which the person nominating feels deserves recognition.
• The award is not linked to the nominee’s length of service and should not be considered as a ‘retirement gift’.
How to Apply:
• There should be at least one additional named supporting nominator.
• Exceptionally, this award may also be presented at the discretion of the County Commissioners after consultation with the Awards Committee.
What will happen next:
• The Wiltshire South County Awards Committee will confirm by email the safe arrival of all applications.
• Applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
• The application will be reviewed at the next Awards Committee meeting.
• Discreet enquiries to the second nominator may be made by the Awards Committee to support an application.
• The nominee will be notified of the decision of the Wiltshire South County Awards Committee in due course.
• Successful nominees will receive their awards from the County Commissioner or her representative at a time agreed appropriate for the recipient.
Good Service Brooch
Purpose: This is a national award but received at county level. This brooch may be given to an adult member of Girlguiding or a branch association for excellent service to guiding. Girlguiding Wiltshire South County would recommend this award for those providing service at Division or County level.
- All applications must be made without the knowledge of the nominee. They should be made via a commissioner and include all supporting evidence
- The Award may be presented to any adult member of Girlguiding over the age of eighteen years.
- The Award should not be considered as a retirement gift.
- Applications may include evidence from leaders, parents, girls, commissioners or other parties as appropriate and should provide the Girlguiding Wiltshire South Awards Committee with all the evidence they would need to consider the application.
What will happen?
- The Wiltshire South County Awards Committee will confirm by email the safe arrival of all applications.
- Applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- The Wiltshire South County Awards Committee will review the application and may make discreet enquiries to verify or ascertain additional information to support the application. You will be notified of the decision of the Wiltshire South County Awards Committee in due course.
Successful nominees will receive their awards from a County Commissioner or her representative at a time agreed appropriate for the recipient.
The Thanks badge (either a brooch or a lapel pin) is given to either a member or non-member of Girlguiding UK as a sign of appreciation for their support.
Any member of Girlguiding UK may present a Thanks Badge after discussion with a Leader or Commissioner.
A Thanks Badge may only be given to a member of the Trefoil Guild if they have given service specifically to Girlguiding UK.
Following this could you please put - When a Thanks Badge is presented the Assistant County Commissioner and the Chairman of the Awards Committee should be informed of the presentation - County records can then be updated.
Still undecided which award to apply for, this is an easy flow chart to help your choice can be downloaded here:- Awards Flow Chart
Girlguiding South West England awards
The following awards can be applied for direct to Girlguiding South West England. Please see https://www.girlguidingsouthwest.org.uk/member-information/thanks-recognition/ for further information.